Job title: Head/Manager of Communications Bangalore Life Sciences Cluster (BLiSC)
We are looking to appoint a Head/Manager of Communications to plan and drive the Communication, Outreach and Public engagement activities of BLiSC. The appointment will be on a contractual basis and the selected candidate will be offered a consolidated salary.
The Bangalore Life Sciences Cluster (BLiSc) comprising the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine (DBT-inStem), and Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP) is a premier research and innovation centre. While the individual institutions have their own scientific mandate, the synergistic associations at the BLiSc is aimed for a far greater impact on life sciences research than the sum of individual contributions from each institution.
Roles and responsibilities
The key focus of Head of Communications, BLiSc will be to drive unique content that reflects the culture and facilitative nature of the campus. The role will come with the following responsibilities:
- Creation of BLiSc content: This represents projection of campus wide BLiSc efforts that would not have been possible elsewhere. The goal will be to create high quality content including design, production and messaging through all platforms. Maximise visibility and outreach through digital, Web Online and Social Media channels. Such content will be published on a mirrored BLiSc website, and promoted on social media or other outlets. Curate, design and deliver signature public engagement events including Science café and open day. Delivery and co-ordination of interactive campus visits and tours for students, delegates, visitors. Maintain an integrative events page/microsite, and co-ordinate web content. Actively find and, write proposals and apply for relevant funding opportunities. This will be part of building a recognition for the BLiSc as an entity. Success here will be a critical part of performance evaluation.
- Management of BLiSc Communications: The Head/Manager of communications BLiSc, will lead the communications team, and be responsible for its coordination on a daily to weekly basis to ensure that quality content is delivered in a timely fashion, with relatively uniform aesthetic The HC BLiSC, will also manage interns and consultants who provide communications services, with institutional Communication Officers from InStem and NCBS. We expect a lean office structure, and the Head/Manager should be prepared for hands-on operations.
- Cluster Communications: The HC, will work across campus with the community at NCBS, CCAMP and InStem to deliver signature BLiSc communications, public engagement and outreach activities. Enable quick and effective responses in situations of Crisis Management. Will supervise communication efforts at NCBS and InStem, while advising on cluster related activities at C-CAMP.
- While a degree in the sciences is not essential, familiarity with varied disciplines in biology is a plus.
- Experience of managing media relations.
- Upto 10, but a minimum of five years of relevant experience in extensive science and public engagement.
- Excellence in written communication skills in science writing/ journalism/ other media/content
Skill Set Required: The ideal candidate will
- Have the ability to see a bigger picture, synthetic view of campus communication.
- Interest in research and interacting with scientists and public alike.
- Demonstrate high level of creativity.
- Have strong influencing skills to gain support and commitment from a team.
- Have High quality English language skills.
- Have Exceptional communication skills.
- Multi-task to handle multiple projects and stakeholders at the same time
- Knowledge of other Indian languages will be an added advantage.
Discussion, reporting and evaluation
The person will report to the cross campus communications committee that includes head outreach and development (NCBS), Head communications (InStem) and communications advisor, CCAMP. Evaluation will be based on user inputs, inputs of the communications team, and supervisory inputs.
Consolidated salary: Compensation will depend on Qualifications and Experience.
Apply with CV, statement of interest (500 words) and examples of past work to email@example.com by October 20th, 2021. Two references and a writing sample will be sought from shortlisted candidates.
Job openings at the Office Of Technology Transfer @ C-CAMP
C-CAMP Technology Transfer Office (TTO) established with the support of the National Biopharma Mission has the mandate to move innovations and discoveries from the laboratories to the marketplace for greater societal benefit. It intends to bridge the research community to the industry and start-ups through strategically evaluating, protecting and licensing its innovations. The TTO’s aim is to sustain an ecosystem where both excellent science and entrepreneurship can complement each other and thrive. If you would like to be part of this system and wish to create an impact by catalysing knowledge transfer, please consider applying for the following positions:
The following skills and abilities are necessary requirements for working at the TTO.:
- Strong attention to detail, be able to understand the big picture and longer term goals.
- Integrity, strong business ethics and service orientation.
- Proven ability to manage a high volume workload in a fast-paced environment with rapidly shifting priorities
- Officers in senior positions are expected to carry a larger caseload, perform their duties with minimal supervision, and act as a mentor to newer members of the TTO staff;
- Demonstrated initiative, ability to prioritize workload, follow up with diverse stakeholders, meet deadlines, and work productively both on an independent basis and as a collaborative member of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The job duties listed are only a representation of the work performed by positions generally classified under this job category and are not to be interpreted as a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties attached to that job. Aspirants may also perform other duties as assigned. The initial offer is for two years. Further extension will depend upon the performance of the individual. Compensation offered will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will not be a limitation to the deserving candidate. Please apply stating your qualifications, experience, current position and compensation drawn highlighting the vacancy you would like to be considered against to :
Human Resources, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP), GKVK Campus, Bellary Road, Bengaluru 560065 OR to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position applied for, MUST be shown in the subject line clearly. Certificates/ testimonials need not be attached now.
Positions: (i) 1 Senior Licensing Specialist
(ii) 1 Innovation Manager
Senior Licensing specialist and Innovation Manager will have the primary responsibility of forging linkages between the TTO and the industry and/ or Venture Capital. Primary aim is to project the TTO’s capabilities and link the TTO to clients seeking IP protection and licensing support; to secure funding and incubating start-ups within the TTO incubator ecosystem and build technology transfer opportunities within the TTO’s operational base. Some research and/or business experience and familiarity with material transfer agreements or other contracts would be a plus, as would negotiation experience. fostering strategic relationships with entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and industry partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create Licensing and IP Management opportunities for the TTO
- Work with inventors to determine technology milestones, timelines for moving technology into a commercial product.
- Negotiate various agreements, including licenses or options for intellectual property rights, and manage ongoing relationships with licensees;
- Help identify potential licensees and contacts within those companies.
- Assess market opportunities and track market trends. Convert them to in-house R&D and licensing opportunities
- Participate in outreach events to promote TTO
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Sensitize researchers and students to technology transfer and commercialization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputed university in the biological sciences, or other science related field;
- Management degree from a reputed Business School
- At least two to four years’ technology licensing, business development, contract negotiation, or commercial assessment experience, including execution of varied business contracts;
- Working knowledge of intellectual property law, intellectual property evaluation, and contracts. Experience working collaboratively with researchers or technical staff in intellectual property matters.
Deadline for both positions is 31st October, 2021