The Novel Technology:
The invention discloses a method of determining the anti-obesity effect of a molecule, using mutant Drosophila strains. Moreover, the invention is useful for testing drugs developed to reduce appetite, reduce fatty acid uptake from the intestine and reduce excess fat deposits.
- To test for drugs that reduces excess triglyceride deposits by:
- Altering lipid absorption in the intestine and its effects on fat storage tissues
- Altering appetite levels and in turn reduction of weight
- Very cost-efficient means for initial testing of drugs
- Allows for testing toxicity levels of the drug simultaneously by measuring other parameters like activity of the animals post drug ingestion
- Comparable with human conditions of genetic tendency for weight gain with a normal diet
The technology is at early-stage of development. Initial studies have been done using the anti-obesity compounds available in the market. Technology know-how is available and looking for partners to further develop and commercialize the technology.
Principal Investigator(s): Dr. Gaiti Hasan, NCBS
Invention ID: CMP-016
IP Status: Patent Abandoned
For more details, please write to:
techtransfer @ ccamp.res.in