‘Accelerating Translation of Research And Commercialization of Technologies in Life Sciences’ Program
Transforming Indian Academic Discoveries into Commercializable Life Science Innovations
The ATRACT-Life Program:
The ATRACT-Life program is an integrated ‘Research Translation & Commercialization’ program under the Discovery to Innovation Accelerator (DIA) program at C-CAMP. The primary goal of the ATRACT-Life program is to foster innovations for society by leveraging the strength of Indian academic research and C-CAMP’s translational resources. The ATRACT-Life program has been ‘Catalysed & Supported by the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India’.
Translation of basic lab-based research is an inherently risky venture owing to uncertainty in scientific feasibility and market/societal adaptability for any research work. This problem gets aggravated further by the lack of specific resources to academics for testing, validating, and refining their lab-scale ideas in the field. Any new innovation is fruitless unless it reaches society, and that happnes effectively only through the medium of industry. Thus, it is absolutely vital to establish processes to make a lab discovery industry-ready.
The ATRACT-Life program under the DIA program at C-CAMP has been conceived primarily for this cause:
- The ATRACT-Life program will provide active translational support to risky yet exciting ideas from academia, enabling the transformation of basic science discoveries into de-risked commercializable innovations for society.
- The ATRACT-Life program has been designed, with strong involvement of academic and industrial partners, to understand and catalyse the adaptation of a potentially impactful scientific discoveries for existing or future industrial/societal needs.
Through the ATRACT-Life program, the DIA team will leverage C-CAMP’s extensive R&D resources in transforming the lab-scale ideas from Indian academia into actualized products for the market. This ‘Lab to Market’ approach of DIA would benefit the scientists, research organizations, industry, and society in general, while stimulating ‘Innovate in India’, with life sciences as the area of focus.
- The program will invite proposals from Indian academic organizations through an annual ‘National Call for Translation of Research And Commercialization’ (NC-TRAC), and will identify the most exciting and relevant scientific discoveries for translation through a thorough screening procedure.
- The proposals selected for ‘Research Translation & Commercialization’ will be jointly developed by the applicant/inventor (and their organization/s) and the DIA team (C-CAMP). For this purpose, a road map for the development of the proposed innovation will be created for each proposal with inputs from academic and industrial partners.
- DIA team will secure the required funding and carry out all of the translational work at C-CAMP in close collaboration with the applicant/inventor(s).
- For ensuring the successful translation of proposals, the DIA team would actively engage with industry and other relevant stakeholders, such as regulatory agencies, Govt. and non-govt. funding bodies, patenting authorities, etc.
‘National Call for Translation of Research And Commercialization’ (NC-TRAC):
The 'National Call for Translation of Research And Commercialization’ (NC-TRAC), is the annual call for proposals announced by DIA, under Its ATRACT-Life program. The call is open to Academic Discoveries/Inventions, which require support for translation into technologies with potential for significant impact in the different fields of Life sciences, including areas such as Human Health Care, Animal Health Care, Primary & Secondary Agriculture, and Environment.
Who Can Apply:
The program welcomes exciting research proposals from Indian academic researchers (from any recognized research institute in India, working in any scientific stream) for developing an innovation (technology, device, resource, etc.), so long as the proposed innovation has a clear utility in the field of life sciences.
The Application Process:
The submitted proposals for innovations will be carefully screened by an expert committee and the selection process will include two rounds of screening.
Key criteria for the selection process are:
- Underlying Scientific Novelty
- Technical Feasibility
- Industrial Adaptability & Scalability
- Market & Societal Impact of Proposed Innovations
Timeline for the Program:
- The first ‘National Call for Translation of Research & Commercialization’ (NC-TRAC 2020) closed on: 31st December, 2020
- Shortlisting of 'Proposals for Translation' from the NC-TRAC 2020 will be done by: Last Week of February, 2021
How to Apply:
The first call for proposals, the ‘National Call for Translation of Research & Commercialization’ (NC-TRAC 2020), concluded on 31st December, 2020. The next call for proposals, the NC-TRAC 2021, will be announced later in the year 2021.
However, for discussing new projects and novel ideas with potential for commercialization, please use the dummy template for the ‘NC-TRAC 2020’ application form (which can be downloaded by clicking here). Please fill this template and send it to ‘email@example.com’ and we will get back to you at the earliest.
For any queries regarding the ATRACT-Life program and the application process, please write to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’, or call us at 080-6718 5055 (+91-80-6718 5055).
'ATRACT-Life' & 'NC-TRAC' are copyrights of C-CAMP.